A staple of almost every Maharashtrian Thali, the Matki Usal is a simple yet delicious no frills dish of sprouted Matki (Moth Beans). Increasing the water just a tad bit turns this into the ‘Tari’ curry served as a part of ‘Misal Pav’.
What you’ll need: 250 grams sprouted Matki (Moth Beans), 40 grams Rassa Masala curry paste, Water (300 ml), a pinch of sugar, 2 tbsp oil
- Set aside 70 grams of the Matki and blend in a mixer.
- Heat oil in a fry pan on medium flame for two minutes.
- Add the remainder of Matki and fry on low flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Set aside the fried Matki. Add the blended Matki paste to the pan and sauté for one minute,
- Add in the Rassa Masala paste and make sure that it gets mixed evenly with the Matki paste. Sauté the blend of the curry paste and the Matki paste for another minute.
- Add back the fried Matki to the pan along with the water and stir it well. Cover the pan and let the Matki cook on low flame for around 15 minutes.
- Your Matki Usal is now ready! Adjust the water to your liking to turn the Usal into Tari curry. Garnish with Farsan and finely diced onions and serve bread on the side to enjoy it as Misal Pav.